Moto and Me: My Year as a Wildcat’s Foster Mom by Suzi Eszterhas
Publisher: Owlkids (April 11, 2017)
Age Range: 7 – 10 years
Grade Level: 1 – 5
Lexile Measure: 860
WorldCat Permalink: http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/954430102
Starred Reviews: Publishers Weekly and Kirkus
Summary and Thoughts
This book is adorable and I am sure that it will please most children! What is there not to like about a sweet story about an animal rescue? The author Suzi Eszterhas, wildlife photographer and author, was asked to be the foster mom to an abandoned serval, a type of African wildcat while on assignment at Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya. Moto was separated from his mother and siblings during a fire. In fact, Moto’s name came from the Swahili word for “fire”. This book chronicles through her amazing photography Eszterhas’ year raising this little orphan up until Moto is released back into the wild.
Moto and Me would make a wonderful addition to school or public library collections. Animal books are always popular with children. Kirkus’ Starred Review declares, “The inclusion of maps, a table of contents, and some general facts about servals make this far more than a sweet story; it’s a model of narrative nonfiction for the elementary-age audience. Not just for fans of cat pictures, this is an encouraging example of wildlife rescue and release with guaranteed child appeal” (Kirkus https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/suzi-eszterhas/moto-and-me/).
Eszterhas is also giving a portion of the royalties from this book to the Mara Conservancy to protect Moto’s home lands.
Sea Otter Rescue (Wildlife Rescue) (2016)by Suzi Eszterhas
Koala Hospital (Wildlife Rescue) (2015) by Suzi Eszterhas
Orangutan Orphanage (Wildlife Rescue) (2016) by Suzi Eszterhas
Leo the Snow Leopard: The True Story of an Amazing Rescue (2010) by Juliana Hatkoff
- Rhino in the House: The Story of Saving Samia (2017) by Daniel Kirk
- Jimmy the Joey: The True Story of an Amazing Koala Rescue (2013) by Deborah Lee Rose
- The African Wildlife Foundation’s Webpage on Servals: http://www.awf.org/wildlife-conservation/serval
- The Mara Conservancy Website: https://www.maratriangle.org/
- Suzi Eszterhas’ Website: https://www.suzieszterhas.com/index
- National Wildlife Federation’s Website (includes both parent and educator resources): https://kids.nwf.org/kids.aspx